Monday, February 3, 2014

Chicken and Wild Rice soup

Today was one of those days where I just needed a big hot bowl of comfort.  It was -5 degrees here this morning!  Yea, NEGATIVE 5.  I know, it's winter in Michigan, but still, that's cold stuff right there. 

I've felt run down all day.  Little girl has been very clingy today.  It didn't help that she woke up at 530. After girly's nap, I was craving soup big time.  Chili will be made later this week, but today I wanted the ultimate comfort food.  As you probably already guessed from the title, I made chicken and wild rice soup.  It started out to be chicken noodle, but I remembered that my dad brought me some wild rice.  Score!  Had to figure out how to cook that first


Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

48 oz chicken broth
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 small potatoes, chopped
1 12-13oz can white chicken breast or 2-3 chicken breasts cut to bite sized pieces
1 can carrots
1 tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper 

1/2 cup uncooked wild rice

1 1/2 cup water or chicken broth

Combine wild rice and water/chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover and cook for 45 minutes.  

Pour chicken broth into a large pot.  Add chopped celery, potatoes, and raw chicken breast pieces if you are using them.  Add seasonings.  Boil for 10-20 minutes until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked. After veggies and chicken are cooked, add the carrots and canned chicken if you are using it.  Add the cooked wild rice. Stir to combine well.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or longer.  Stir well before serving.  Enjoy! 

I ended up letting it simmer for about 30-40 minutes at the end while I got girly to sleep.  I could smell it through out the house and couldn't wait to try it!  It is delicious.  I'm having a second bowl now :)  

Potatoes aren't normally in chicken soups, but I really like the taste of them in the soup.  This is definitely what I needed after today.  The perfect amount of comfort and I am finally warm after being freezing all day. 
Seriously, how awesome does that look?!
The hubby said it was ok.  He isn't a fan of the celery in it and he said the potatoes are weird.  If you think you'd agree, then don't add them :) The good thing about recipes is that they are more like guidelines.  Mix and match and do whatever makes you happy.  

Time to relax a little before bed!

Good night moon

No comments:

Post a Comment