Sunday, February 2, 2014

Crock-pot Parmesan Chicken

Yesterday was they Husbands birthday.  His favorite food is Chicken Parmesan, which is totally delicious.  However, it takes more time to make than the 11 month old Missy will give me.  In comes the crock pot!!  I love my crock-pot.  Like obsession kind of love.  I thought there HAD to be a way to make this easier, so to Pinterest I went!  I used This recipe from The Country Cook.  I made my own sauce for it though.  When I first started making my own sauce, I used this recipe from Life in the Lofthouse and it's good but it wasn't just right for my taste.  I've made it maybe half a dozen times since I first found the recipe.  Needless to say, I no longer buy jarred spaghetti sauce.  It's just not the same anymore.  I can tweak the seasonings with each batch depending on what mood I'm in and tomato sauce cans are cheaper than the prepared spaghetti sauce.  

My in-laws came up for the day for husbands birthday.  We had a very good day.  I'm glad I used the crock pot, it made for more inactive cooking time giving us more together time.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures because we ate it too fast.  Oops =P The measurements for the breadcrumbs and cheese are estimates, I never measure them and just add and mix until it looks right.  


Crock-Pot Parmesan Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
Small amount of oil to sear chicken
29 oz jar of spaghetti sauce or homemade sauce (recipe below)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.  Or different kind if you want
Cooked pasta to serve

Spray crock pot with non-stick spray or use a liner. 

Pour sauce in the crock-pot.

In one small container, beat egg and milk until well blended.  In another small container, mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.  Heat up skillet with the oil.  You want to put the chicken into a hot skillet so you get a nice golden crust.  We aren't cooking the inside, just making sure we have a good crust.  Coat chicken breast in egg mixture, then dredge in the bread crumb mixture until well coated.  Place into hot skillet.  Repeat with the other chicken breasts.  Fry the breasts for just a couple minutes on each side until the breading is crispy.  Once they are crispy, put them into the crock pot, on top of the sauce.  Cover and cook.  6-7 hours on low or it took me about 4 hours on high. 

30 minutes before you are ready to eat it, sprinkle the top with shredded mozzarella cheese.  Replace lid and allow cheese to melt. 

Serve with cooked pasta and extra cheese.  [We really like cheese]

Easy Pasta Sauce

29 oz can tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon oregano.

Mix all ingredients together.  Use as you would jarred spaghetti sauce.  


I like lots of seasoning in my sauce. :)

I will make sure I get pictures next time I make it and link back to the recipe.  Everyone enjoyed it very much, including our 11 month old.  

We had red velvet cake roll with cream cheese filling for desert [and breakfast this morning].  It was so very good.  I think it is easier to do cake rolls than doing regular round cakes, less time frosting and a whole lot quicker!  

Happy Birthday Hubby!!!!  Welcome to your 27th year of life!!!  We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment